GBA on DSi and 3DS
Play Gameboy Advance Games (GBA ROMs) on Nintendo DSi with the help of a DS iPlayer card and DSi-GBA emulator. Download GBA games to microSD card - insert it into iPlayer and put it into your DSi.
News UPDATE: SuperCard team has released a new DSi / 3DS compatible game backup and emulator card called SuperCard DSTWO that includes all the features of the iPlayer built in + it can play Nintendo NDS ROMs so saving you big $ on buying games.
Is it possible to play GBA on DSi? YES it is!
Nintendo removed the SLOT-2 also known as GBA cartridge slot from the DSi, so you can not use cartridges on the new console, but you can play game backups or GBA roms. If You read the step-by-step instructions on our site and download the GBADSi emulator you can use the new Nintendo DSi with the larger screen and SD slot to play Gameboy Advance games similar to how you play games on Wii Virtual Console!
So what do I need to play GBA on DSi - How to play gameboy on DSi: You need 3 components
1) Gameboy Advance Game backups also known as GBA ROMs
2) DSi Gameboy Advance emulator that you can download from GBA DSi.com and
3) DS iPlayer micro SD adapter card (R4 DS, R4i SDHC and other simple DSi flash cards will not work). So to sum it all up - Can DSi play Gameboy games & Does DSi play Game Goy Advance games - YES Gameboy Games on DSi can be emulated using iPlayer adapter and GBADSi emulator!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How can I play GBA ROMs on R4 DS or R4i flash cards?
A: The short answer is that you still can not do it. Gameboy Emulator for DSi is compatible ONLY with DS IPlayer cards that have additional 16MB RAM and CPU inside the adapter. R4 SDHC, AceKard 2i, M3i, DSOne, DSTTi, iTouch DS etc. cards are NOT capable of running NDS-GBA emulator do to hardware limitations.
Q: Will future versions of GBA emulator for DSi work on R4, AK2i, R4i, SuperCard etc.?
A: Highly unlikely as it depends on the DS iPlayer hardware to run the emulator, but as this emulator has taught us - never say never :)
Q: Does GBADSi emulator work on DS Lite and the old NDS?
A: Yes - it sure does, though there are far better solutions for playing GBA Game Backups on the older DS models. Most GBA Flash Cards and special DS Memory Expansion cards do a better job as they do not require software emulation, but rather emulate the cartridge hardware, and let the DS run the game as if it was being played from a an original Gameboy Advance cartridge in the DS slot-2.
Q: What else can I use the DS iPLayer adapter for? I hear it doesn't play NDS roms!
A: Yes - DS iPlayer is about the only DSi Flash Card that does not play the NDS backup roms (it can play all Homebrew DS roms and emulate other consoles). There is a good reason for the makers of iPlayer to block NDS roms from running on it - they wanted it to be fully legal to be sold in any store on-line or offline, when as most R4i cards would be banned from eBay and other stores that want to avoid trouble from Nintendo. iPlayer was made primarily as a media player inside a DS card.
Nintendo NDS & DS Lite has inside 2 x ARM CPU's , one clocked at 33mhz and the other at 67mhz . DSi iPlayer also has two processors, one of which is actually a later and faster version of the processor used in DS. Basically the iPlayer adds its own power to the original DS specs. iPlayer has one ARM9 CPU clocked at 200mhz (more than twice as fast as the normal DS on its own) and a secondary DSP CPU clocked at 400mhz. So DS iPlayer actually has internal specs more powerful than the DS itself, and this is what enables it to run GBA emulation when DS on its own can not.
DSi iPlayer is also capable or running all popular video formats like AVI, RMVB, RM, FLV, ASF, MPG, WMV, MP3, include the DivX & XviD and can even play MKV and H.264. It also works as "DSi Virtual Console for playing emulated GBA, NES, GameBoy Classic, GB Color, SEGA, SNES etc games.
There is one important difference from all the R4i, EZ-Flash and AceKard flash cards that also claim video compatibility -- to play video using iPlayer you do NOT have to CONVERT it, when as for all the other cards you ave to spend time converting the video files on PC in order for them to work on the R4 cards.
The things You need:
Here is a checklist of the things you need in order to play GBA games on Nintendo DSi. Micro SD card is needed to hold the GBA rom files, and you must have a DS iPlayer (or DSTWO) adapter with the built in processor and extra memory for the emulator to work. Plane R4 card will not do :(
Buy DS iPlayer »
Buy SuperCard DSTWO »
- Nintendo DSi
- or old NDS Phat
- or DS Lite or DSi XL
- iPlayer flash card
- microSD card
- SD card writer for PC
- DS iPlayer adapter
- some GBA Roms
Homebrew Emulator Hardware
- iPlayer for Nintendo DSi will let you play Video and Audio files of all formats on the DS without any converting on the PC, but more importantly it enables you to run homebrew and GBADSi emulator!
- UPDAT: SuperCard has heard our complaints about the lack of NDS ROM support and has released a new DSi and 3DS compatible R4 card called SuperCard DSTWO that includes all the media palyer and emulator features of the iPlayer + plus it can play DS ROMs saving you big $ on games.
Buy DSi/3DS SuperCard DStwo »
(Free WorldWide Shipping)
Pokemon emulator Apple iPhone iOS and Google Android downloads added. PC Windows 10 compatible.
- Buy SuperCard iPlayer »
- Finaly there is another NEW DS flash card that can run the GBA DSi emulator - DSTWO SuperCard
- can play NDS ROMs
- compatible with GBA emulator
- does NOT play DivX at this time
- Nintendo 3DS has been unlocked for playing both NDS roms and now finally also the native 3DS roms. First to the finish and stores is Gateway 3DS team with their 2 cart combo GW3DS flash card kit! Can play homebrew like lolSnes SNES DS emulator or all commercial dual-screen or 3D games!
- Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can DSi run Game Boy Color roms, or only GBA roms?
A: Yes, You can play GB and GBC roms on DSi with iPlayer. Just place GBC-on-DSi emulator in SD card...
Also there are NES, SNES and even SEGA emulators for DSi.